Salmon and Cream Cheese Pancakes
Savoury pancake recipe
- Mix together the flour and salt and make a hole in the middle of the bowl.
- In a jug mix together the milk , eggs and chopped fresh herbs.
- Gradually pour the liquid into the middle of the bowl and whisk gently gradually picking up more of the flour. Keep adding more of the liquid and stirring until you have used all of the liquid.
- Leave the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Whilst you are waiting for the batter make the filling. Defrost the spinach in the microwave, drain away any excess liquid. Mix together with the cream cheese add some salt and pepper. Unwrap the smoked salmon.
- Put a small sized frying pan on to a medium heat (ideally use a Japanese egg pan).
- Spray or wipe with a little vegetable oil.
- When the pan is warm pour in enough batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan for me this was about 1/2 a cup.
- Cook until the edges of the pancake have become dry. Give the pan a little sideways shake to loosen it. Then toss or flip to cook the other side. The second side will cook much quicker.
- Fill the pancake with the cream cheese mixture and top with some of the salmon. Roll into a cylinder and cut into 4 cm cylinders.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 until you have used up all of the batter.
- Can be eaten warm or cold.
Haven’t got any bread in the house? You could make a pancake instead. This is a really simple recipe for a savoury salmon and cream cheese pancakes. These are great for a light lunch or as part of a luxurious Brunch. I have a Japanese egg pan which is rectangular in shape it makes it easy to make a rectangular pancake. If you haven’t got one of these you can use a small frying instead.
The key thing to remember when making a British style pancake is to mix the liquid in gently and leave it to rest for 20 minutes before making them. These have slightly different quantities of milk to flour when compared to the usual British pancakes which makes a slightly thicker batter and makes them more robust to cope with the fillings.
These pancakes could be filled with almost any filling you like. If you fancy a sweet filling add some vanilla extract to the pancake mix and some cinnamon if you like it.
The salmon and cream cheese pancakes are great served with a simple cucumber salad. I added chives to my pancake batter but you could use parsley of fennel instead if those are your favourites with fish.
You can find some other pancake recipes on my Pancakes page.Add to Favourites