- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Serving: 24 cookies
pecan and banana cookies
Great tasting pecan and banana vegan cookies.
- pecan nuts - 100g
- coconut oil - 3 tablespoons
- a pinch of salt
- brown sugar - 125g
- fine white sugar (caster) - 100g
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- ground linseeds - 1 tablespoon
- water - 3 tablespoons
- Plain white flour (Weizen Mehl 405) - 250g
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- bicarbonate of soda - 1 teaspoon
- porridge oats (hafer/ oat meal) - 125g
- ripe bananas - 175g
- extra water - 3 to 4 tablespoons
- vegan dark chocolate - 75g
- or cocoa nibs - 4 tablespoons
- In a small food processor grind the pecans. Then add the coconut oil and the pinch of salt and mix till you have an almost smooth butter.
- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
- Make the egg substitute by grinding the linseeds. I use a coffee grinder to do this. Grind 1 tablespoon of linseeds and then mix with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Cream together the sugar, vanilla extract, linseeds and water and homemade pecan nut butter.
- Weigh out the flour, oats, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix together.
- Mix together with the other sugar and butter mixture. Mash the bananas and then add them to the bowl and mix. Add a few tablespoons of extra water until the dough will stick together when lightly squeezed.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Centigrade
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces or if you are using or simply add the cocoa nibs. Mix into the cookie mixture.
- Line two baking sheets with silicon sheets or baking paper.
- Spoon out the dough onto the baking sheets leaving some room for the biscuits to expand. I used an ice cream scoop to make it easier to measure them out. Squash the biscuits down so that they are flat, about 5 mm thick.
- Cook for 17 to 20 minutes until they have started to go brown, don't worry they will still feel soft. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing to cool further on a wire rack.
- Once cool store in an air tight tin.
These pecan and banana cookies are a twist on my original Vegan nut cookies. These cookies are egg and dairy free if you use vegan chocolate or cocoa nibs. I made these at 10 in the morning and by lunchtime most of them have already been munched. They have a bit of a banoffee pie vibe going on due to the brown sugar, bananas and chocolate yummy.
To replace the eggs in a normal cookie I have used ground linseeds and some water. The pecan nuts and coconut oil have been used to replace butter. These cookies should be eaten in 2 to 3 days because they have used fresh bananas based on our experience that shouldn’t be a problem.Add to Favourites