Vegan nut cookies
Great tasting vegan cookies.
- shelled raw peanuts - 100g
- coconut oil - 3 tablespoons
- a pinch of salt
- brown sugar - 125g
- fine white sugar (caster) - 125g
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- ground linseeds - 1 tablespoon
- water - 3 tablespoons
- Plain white flour (Weizen Mehl 405) - 250g
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- bicarbonate of soda - 1 teaspoon
- porridge oats (hafer/ oat meal) - 125g
- cranberries - 75g
- dessicated coconut - 50g
- extra water - 3 to 4 tablespoons
- vegan chocolate - 125g
- or cocoa nibs - 4 tablespoons
- In a small food processor grind the peanuts. Then add the coconut oil and the pinch of salt and mix till you have an almost smooth butter.
- Transfer the mixture into a larger food processor or a large bowl.
- Make the egg substitute by grinding the linseeds. I use a coffee grinder to do this. Mix 1 tablespoon of the ground linseeds with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Cream together the sugar, vanilla extract, linseeds and water and homemade peanut butter.
- Weigh out the flour, oats, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and mix together.
- Mix together with the other sugar and butter mixture. I did this in a food processor so I got a smooth batter. If you are doing it by hand you the oats will remain chunky. Add a few tablespoons of extra water until the dough will stick together when lightly squeezed.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Centigrade
- By hand mix in the desiccated coconut, chopped pecans, cranberries add your choice of chocolate or cocoa nibs.
- Line two baking sheets with silicon sheets or baking paper.
- Spoon out the dough onto the baking sheets leaving some room for the biscuits to expand. I used an ice cream scoop to make it easier to measure them out. Squash the biscuits down so that they are flat, about 5 mm thick.
- Cook for 15 to 18 minutes until they have started to go brown, don't worry they will still feel soft. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing to cool further on a wire rack.
- Once cool store in an air tight tin.
I have a few friends who are vegan and I wanted to come up with a tasty cookie without too many specialist ingredients. This vegan nut cookies recipe was my first attempt and they are delicious. Simon, my non vegan husband, gave them a 9 out of 10 before he knew they were vegan. They have lots of favourite ingredients in them peanuts, pecan nuts, coconut and cranberries. For extra indulgence for the non vegans I added some normal white chocolate and for my vegan friends I used some cocoa nibs. Vegan chocolate is available from most health food shops choose your favourite flavour. If you can’t find pecan nuts you could use almonds or walnuts instead.
To replace the eggs in a normal cookie I have used ground linseeds and some water. The peanuts and coconut oil have been used to replace butter. Be warned this recipe creates a lot of washing up but it was worth it. The vegan nut cookies have a great nutty and crunchy taste and will keep for a few days.Add to Favourites